Very mild morning, and while the day started off cloudy, got sunny and hot fast. Still was committed to getting some work done in the garden. Have been putting it off for too long, and suddenly we’re three weeks ahead of last year!
The garden is a little strange. Started out as a decent sized fenced in area with two 18″ beds, dug into the ground, lined with pavers, and then filled with mulch, compost and soil. Then that area was fenced in. MISTAKE #1. Beds are about 3′ wide, how do I get to the far (fence) side to weed, I ask. Just step over onto the pavers on the other side, he (designer of the garden) says. Really easy, i say, when the tomatoes are 4-5 foot tall!
Then, MISTAKE #2. We used the big 6×6 inch concrete reinforcing wire to go up and over the garden area to hold the much needed shade cloth. combined with the chicken wire to keep out the little munchers, now have a double fence and all kinds of stuff gets caught up in there.
MISTAKE #3. When we put up the greenhouse, it went where the herb garden was sitting. So we put a bed AROUND the original garden, a couple of feet wide, and put up 3′ chicken wire around that. Now, i can’t reach the between fences area of the original garden to weed. and all kinds of interesting stuff has taken root there: St John’s wort, Feverfew, Thyme, Sage, oregano, yarrow, and misc weeds.
This whole arrangement is a rectangle that runs north / south. on the east side is the path that goes out the back gate. on the west side is a wild naturalized area. Last year the Javelina got in there and dug up the western bed, tore down the fence, and generally made a mess. When I went over there this year to fix all that, found the brush on that side was encroaching. So first thing was to cut back the manzanita and scrub oak and make a path. Then fix up the fencing. There’s an entire area back there the Javelina pretty well dug up and ate everything. So am going to plant my Loofa plants back there. Out of the way and they can grow up the fence, or up and out over the brush.
Back in the greenhouse, took many of my seedlings out of their starter tray and put them up into 4″ pots: 6 x striped roma tomato, 3 nice roma, 4 yellow slicing tomato, 4 anaheim chilli, 4 Black beauty eggplant – all heirlooms. have decided the Roma plants I purchased are going into grow bags. have two big (4 compartment) bags, figure they will hold 10 plants right there. That leaves me with one more for the other Topsy Turvy until these seedlings I planted today are ready to go into the ground.
Last year, had planted my Romas where the herbs used to be (east side of the garden, moved from where the greenhouse now is, and then moved to a large planter closer to the house). Yes, there is oregano and thyme still hovering there and that’s okay. Some dill has self seeded there and am going to pull those plants, dry the leaves and clear the space. Then I’ll plant my spaghetti squash there. let them climb up and over from the east side while the loofa climbs up and over from the west.
The rest of the squash are going over into the new bed. That will be devoted to Nangua and Cocozelle, a bush zuchinni. The cocozelle will be just about done before the Nangua even start putting out fruit. Am setting up six large, 5 gallon, pots over that way for the zuchinni plants. They’ll produce later in the season when the others are done.
Everything else will be going in Grow bags or large pots.
Speaking of grow bags, the potato grow bags that are on their third season are showing signs of wear. The stitching is coming undone and the reinforcement webbing is showing through the plastic/polyester material.
This year am trying some different ones from someone up in oregon. Think they are made with recycled soda bottles. Will let you all know how they are working out. Have a couple of 11 gallon ones which will be planted with potatoes this season. More tomorrow, hopefully, with pictures.