dehydrating

 

The turkey, rice and vegetable soup I’d previously dehydrated got weighed out and packaged.  Six quarts, weighed out the total dried, divided by six and that many grams went into a plastic sandwich bag, made a label, then shrink wrapped each one.  So the instructions are sealed from water damage, dust, fading, peeling

IMG_0937Turkey soup ready to go into a backpack, the go bag, long term storage, or tonights dinner

IMG_0938 Refried beans.  This time,weighed out the total, divided by the number of servings (from the original pot of refrieds, one ladle was enough for a breakfast or dinner side, so each ladle counted as a serving), measured that amount which turned out to be 1/2C dried.  So just put that info on the jar.

IMG_0935dehydrating chili.  Made about 7 quarts, we had for dinner last night, sharing one with a friend, and drying the rest.  Will probably package this batch as I did with the refrieds.  If it works well, will make up a batch for packaging as I did with the soup.

Its approximately a one to one water to dried food, with the beans and chili.  The soup will be the amount in water that is intended as a serving.

All it takes is the right tools, and I can package up what we need, to our taste, and I know everything that went into it.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in canning, dehydrating, gluten free, homesteading, organic, prepping, preserving, recipes, self-reliance, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s